Wednesday, September 19, 2012

4th Grade Author Study

Spotlight on Judy BlumeMy 4th graders and I are totally enjoying investigating and celebrating the works of Judy Blume .  Like many writers we have found out that Judy Blume keeps a "trusty notebook".  Before I begin to write she says, "I fill a notebook,  jot down ideas, think about my characters , add dialogue, descriptions, details, details, and more details."

Judy Blume  Yes!
On the first day of 4th grade I gave my entire class a copy of Tales of a 4th Grade Nothing.  
                                                                 

Honestly I think this book is the perfect read-a-loud!  Students love listening to the humorous adventures of Farley Drexel, a.k.a. "FUDGE"
Which will lead us perfectly into the FUDGE SERIES

On the web:
Other students are getting a kick out of Judy Blume on the web
She has a ton of activities and games, an interview, video, and writing tips..{totally take a peek}
read think write lesson links
Grades   3 – 5  |  Lesson Plan  |  Standard Lesson
Students will really get into character when they read short stories and analyze the how’s and why’s of characters’ behaviors.

Grades   3 – 5  |  Lesson Plan  |  Standard Lesson
Students work on a guided characterization project, using a graphic map to illustrate the ways a character from a book series grows and evolves over the course of the story.

Grades   3 – 5  |  Lesson Plan  |  Recurring Lesson
Character Perspective Charting allows students to compare multiple characters and their points of view to better understand a story.

Here are some activities my 4th graders have completed:


1 comment:

Miss. MacKenzie said...

I loved Judy Blume growing up. I am really happy that someone is continuing to value her contribution to our youth. Great ideas on your blog!
Kristy @ http://2peasandadog.blogspot.ca